Here’s some tips I’ve put together for a healthy lifestyle and weight loss. I’ll make sure to add a lot more each week! Enjoy :)
- Sleeping burns more calories than watching TV!
- If you’re craving food, rather than being hungry then brush your teeth! Food doesn’t taste to great with a mint-flavoured mouth! Plus, it’s great for keeping plaque under control between meals.
- If you’re prone to binging get rid of the food you’d normally induldge on! But don’t just throw it away, there are usually charities or shelters locally that will be more than happy to accept it. (Or give it to family and friends, just make sure you won’t be sabotaging their diet if they’re on one!)
- Don’t tell yourself you can’t eat any treats at all. It will just make you x10 more likely to binge. Give yourself 1 meal in the week where you can eat one of your most missed foods. Be it dessert or main. It will do you good!
- Another way to stop yourself from overindulgening is to wear tighter clothes throughout the day. That way you’re more aware of your body - it may even prevent you from grabbing an unhealthy snack from the cupboard!
- Don’t just sit still… fidget! Ever wonder why some people just never seem to gain any weight and can eat more? It’s probably because they just can’t sit still. Tapping your hand or ‘jigging’ your leg up and down whilst you sit, can burn up to 600 calories a day! Sound too good? Go on, prove me wrong ;)
- Eat on smaller plates! It is an optical illusion that the same portion on both a small and larger plate will look much larger on the smaller plate! There is also evidence that eating on blue coloured plates reduces your appetite. Go get a small blue plate! What’s is there to lose? (Aside from excess fat) :)
- Check your medicine! Antihistamines especially, cause an increased appetite. (Note: DO NOT suddenly stop taking any medications, consult your doctor about side-effects associated with your medicine)
- Increased mental exhertion burns approximately an extra 1.2 calories per second, so go do that Sudoku puzzle in todays newspaper!
- Get spicy! I know I love spicy food, and I always add chillis or cayenne pepper to food when I can. Adding just half a teaspoon to your meal can not only increase your metabolism but on average people ate 60 fewer calories in their next meal.
- Eat with your non-dominant hand. That way you will eat slowler, and be much more aware of when you start to feel hungry.
- Don’t always wrap up when you feel a little chilly! Your body has to work harder to keep itself warmer, and by doing so burns up to 50% more calories. If you’re really brave have a cold shower, or if you’d rather keep snug just drink lots of ice-cold water.
- Eat apples as snacks. They are proven to curb hunger, and it has been shown people typically ate around 180 calories less at meals compared with those who don’t.
appleegg a day keeps the doctor away! Eggs contain every vitamin aside from C. So get cracking!
- Let people around you know that you’re healthy eating and trying to lose weight. That way they will (hopefully) be more aware of your lifestyle change, and avoid offering you sweets or junk jood.
- Drink chocolate milk after you work out. There are two key things your body needs to do after exercise. Recover, and encourage the muscles to repair and become stronger. Milk is full of protein, water and electrolytes. The chocolate is a useful carbohydrate to replace the lost energy. Just don’t drink too much of it, always measure it out. Depending on how much you worked out 1-2 cups should suffice.